Monday, April 4, 2011

BEAT THE BELLY BLOAT

So...I came across this article when I was bored at work the other day.....I have a problem with bloating and I absolutely hate it. I feel like no matter what I eat it makes my tummy bloat! I eat a lot of veggies so this probably does not help, but I learned about other culprits that may be contributing to this problem. I know we all suffer from this at times, so here are a few things to experiment with and try to avoid to help you learn what makes you bloat!


  • LACTOSE: found in dairy. For most people, this ingredient is very hard to digest! If milk bothers you (like ice cream, cheese, cottage cheese, etc) Try to stick with yogurt and hard cheese, or take a lactase enzyme pill to help with digestion
  • FRUCTOSE: This sugar is mostly found in fruits and veggies. It is a lot higher in fruits. If fructose upsets you, try to stay away from honey, dried fruits, honeydew, apples, and pears. These are fruits that are higher in fructose. Stick with berries, citrus, and grapes.
  • FRUCTANS: Found in mainly in wheat, rye, and barely. Stick with rice, corn, potatoes, or oats
  • SUGAR ALCOHOLS: sorbital, xylitol, and mannitol are all found in sugar-free guml and sugar free food items. The gut has a hard time dealing with these fake sugars! Gum does it to me for sure!
  • GALACTANS: Found in beans, soynuts, chickpeas, lentils, cabbage, and brussel sprouts. Try soaking beans overnight to help reduce galactans. You can take the OTC enzyme BEANO to help digest these foods when you eat them!

I hope this article helps you find what bothers you! I know I will be experimenting with them! If you have any more questions go to the article link above! Other culprits can also be sodium, caffeine, etc....

No comments: