Monday, May 2, 2011

Two Delicious Dinners!

Hello and happy Monday!! Over the weekend I made these yummy meals. Quick and easy, and great for leftovers!

The first thing I made was Southwest Turkey Tacos that I found out of a Prevention magazine a long time ago.  It has been one of our favorite taco recipes! It makes enough for about four people to have a couple tacos each. Or, you can put it over rice like I have pictured below. The first night we had it on tacos with lettuce, tomatoes, plain greek yogurt (or sour cream), cheese, and whole wheat tortillas from Costco. These tortillas are my favorite!!!  Plain greek yogurt tastes exactly like sour cream! Try it sometime!
 These tortillas are loaded with fiber and don't seem to be loaded with too many preservatives. They come in a huge pack for about 5.99. I also LOVE this turkey breast. Its 99% fat free, and if you look, it is actually turkey breast and not just ground turkey like most of them. It is pretty pricey so I always look for it on sale. If it isn't on sale then I go for the 93% fat free ground turkey.

SOUTHWEST TURKEY TACOS
  • 1 lb. ground turkey
  • 1/2 cup (small) yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 cups salsa
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed (doing this helps remove a lot of the sodium!)
  • I can yellow corn, drained and rinsed (same reason)
  • 1 T. chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
Heat a medium skillet on med-high heat and cook onion and turkey until cooked through. Season with salt and pepper while cooking. Place all ingredients in a greased crock pot and stir. Cook on low for about 5-7 hrs. Place on tortillas with lettuce, greek yogurt (or sour cream), tomatoes, and avocados. These are so delicious! You can also top some brown rice as pictured below another night like we did!




I cannot give myself credit for the dinner we had tonight. I was at costco today and spotted these yummy chicken burgers. They are already pre-cooked, all natural, gluten free, and amazing! They are about eleven dollars for ten patties. That is like buying a burger at McDonalds! haha.
I found fresh corn at the store today and was super excited! Summer is almost here and corn on the cob is delicious this time of year! I cooked some corn, heated up a few patties and leftover brown rice from the other dinner, steamed some broccoli and walla! They were so delicious, they have gouda cheese and red peppers mixed in them! They spoil pretty fast so you can freeze them for up to 6 months if you are not going to eat them quickly. The faster they spoil, the better they are for you! That is my motto! Less preservatives! (I should seriously be a sales rep for Costco products...haha, but seriously Costco has some pretty healthy stuff for cheap!)


 Bradon put his patties on the sandwich thins. He couldn't eat a patty without a bun! That is just weird according to him! haha. His looked really yummy as well! I will do that tomorrow for lunch! (He told me he is a great hand model :) He should do this for a living. What a dork.

TRY THESE OUT AND LET ME KNOW HOW YOU LIKE THEM!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

My father-in-law got me hooked on those chicken burgers last month, LOVE THEM! They're the best. :)