Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Spinach Addict

Spinach is so good for you, so I always try to incorporate it into my meals. 


Spinach has a high nutritional value and is extremely rich in antioxidants, especially when fresh, steamed, or quickly boiled. It is a rich source of vitamin A (and especially high in lutein), vitamin Cvitamin Evitamin Kmagnesiummanganesefolatebetaine,ironvitamin B2calciumpotassiumvitamin B6folic acidcopperproteinphosphoruszincniacinselenium and omega-3 fatty acids. Recently, opioid peptides called rubiscolins have also been found in spinach.

IT IS FULL OF VITAMINS AND ANTIOXIDANTS FOR BEING SO LOW IN CALORIE CONTENT!

 So I found this recipe a long time ago, and decided to try it out. It was delicious, and tasted like something you would get at an Italian restaurant. It is called:

TUSCAN CHICKEN WITH WHITE BEANS AND SPINACH

2 tsp. olive oil, divided
5 chicken breasts, skinless, boneless
Sea salt
Cracked black pepper
Dried Basil
Garlic Powder
1/2 yellow onion, chopped (I only had a red onion)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups spinach
1 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes, drained
1 15 oz. can white beans, drained & rinsed


Add 1 tsp. of oil to skillet over medium heat. Season both sides of chicken with sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, and basil. Add chicken to skillet. Cook about 5-6 minutes each side, or until cooked through. Remove from pan and cover with tin foil tent, set aside.

Add the rest of the oil to the pan. Add onion and cook for 4-5 min, or until cooked through. Add garlic and stir continuously for 1 minute. Add drained tomatoes and beans. Stir and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add spinach. Season with salt, pepper, and basil to taste. Cook until spinach is wilted. Lade mixture onto serving dish and top with chicken. Serve immediately

I served mine with rice and steamed veggies. You could also do a baked potato and couscous! It was delicious and Bradon loved it as well! If you try it, let me know how you liked it!





FAKE CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM WITH MINI OREOS

1/2 cup vanilla soy milk (or any milk)
1 scoop chocolate or vanilla protein powder
Stevia
1/2 tsp. xanthum gum (thickens)
1/2 tsp. guar gum (creamy)
1 T. cocoa powder (optional)
6-7 ice cubes
Some mini oreos (or other toppings you may like)

Blend together until smooth! My Vitamix make ice cream perfectly! Some blenders may not do as well. Try it out! 


I then took my doggies for a walk and decided to snap some pictures. They actually walk me because they pull so hard. Taking my dogs on a walk is really relaxing for me and allows me time to think. I usually put in my earphones and listen to Pandora's alternative radio mix. 



Ute and Chester leading the way! Ute always has to be on the left and chester always has to be on the right. Sounds like they have some OCD qualities like their mother! haha. 


Bradon and I found this canal that they love to run around! We let them off their leash and they just run. They chase birds, dig in the dirt, and drink the dirty canal water! They are exhausted by the end!




The other day Ute fell in the canal and could not swim! Bradon had to jump in after him. It was pretty funny! (Not that Ute was drowning, but that Bradon got soaked saving our dog :))




ABS/SHOULDER/CARDIO WORKOUT

I had a great workout today that I would like to share. It kicked my butt and I loved it!

I started out with a 5 minute warmup on the elliptical

Then did this weight lifting circuit 3 times:
1. upright row with a barbell x 15
2. Supermans, alternating x 20
3. lateral raises with dumbbells x 15
4. front raises with dumbbells x 15
5. Hands overhead, crunches on stability ball x 50
6. Should Press with barbell x 15
7. side bridge x 60 seconds per side

30 minutes cardio on the stair stepper machine. Alternating 2 minutes moderate effort (8-10) with 1 minute intense effort (15-17).  (These are the levels on my machine at the gym)
This will be 10 intervals. 

5 minute cool down with stretching! It was great! Try it out!



After the gym today I put together this yummy smoothie bowl! I like eating it from a bowl because it is thick and creamy! It doesn't look good because of the spinach! I promise, it is tasty! If you have kids that don't like spinach (or husbands like mine) this is a great way to hide it in their food! They will never taste it!

SPINACH BERRY VANILLA PROTEIN SMOOTHIE BOWL

1/2 cup coconut milk (or any milk)
1/2 cup water
1 scoop vanilla protein
1/2 frozen banana
2-3 big frozen strawberries
1/2 cup frozen berries
1/2 tsp. xanthum gum (this is optional, it just thickens it)
1 big handful of spinach
1/4 cup plain oatmeal
3-4 ice cubes
Blend together until smooth and creamy! Very filling! You can buy xantham gum at a health food store.

No comments: