Saturday, May 5, 2012

Extinguishing Disease

The other day I was reading the book "The Engine 2 Diet". It is about a firefighter that switched to a complete plant based diet. I love this book! It reminds me of "Forks Over Knives". Anyways... He gives some disease prevention tips that I think everyone needs to hear on a daily basis!

RIP ESSELSTYN'S DISEASE PREVENTION TIPS

1. Eat green leafy vegetables like there is no tomorrow...broccoli, bok choy, mustard greens, kale, collard greens, brussel sprouts, etc....no other foods are as nutritionally dense

2. Eat plant foods of all colors of the rainbow every day. Maximize the variety each day. 

3. Fiber is your friend! Eat fruits, veggies, whole grains, and beans and you will get all the fiber you need. You'll consistently feel better, fuller and your bowels will work regularly. 

4. Get junk food out of the house. If it's in the cupboard, you'll be drawn to it like a moth to light. Don't torture yourself. Toss it!

5. Always carry food with you: whole grain crackers, healthy bars (lara bars, luna, etc), fruit, or veggies. Don't let a hungry stomach lead you astray.
(This is one thing I HAVE to do while working my 12 hour shifts, if not I will raid the cupboard & fridge when I get home)

6.  If you smoke, stop!

7. Minimize or elimate booze. It's not healthy and rarely enhances life. (It can be fun at times though..right? haha)

8. Get of your butt and move. No matter how good your diet it, you need to exercise your body. Do anything as long as your heart thumps and your blood pumps! Life is always better after a work out


I LOVED these tips....Rip Esselstyn that wrote this book has such a good sense of humor and great wisdom to share!

Post these rules on your fridge!

Have a wonderful night!





OH P.S. I found an awesome healthy energy bar... They are called....Zing bars! They are sold at health food stores, Harmon's, online, etc..They have about 10 g. of plant protein! They are gluten, dairy & soy free! They are super yummy. My favorite is the Cranberry Orange one.

1 comment:

Jillian said...

Hi,

I have a quick question about your blog, do you think you could email me?

Jillian